Senator Brian Schatz is hiring a senior legislative staffer to manage his appropriations work. The staffer will support the senator as a member of the Appropriations Committee (and chair of its transportation and housing subcommittee) and manage the appropriations work done across his legislative team. This position is also responsible for a legislative portfolio of economic and consumer issues that may include the following topics: banking, budget, consumer affairs, economic development, small business, tax, tourism, and trade.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- managing the office’s appropriations work;
- updating and refining the office’s process of evaluating congressionally directed spending items and ensuring compliance with Senate rules and processes;
- advising the senator on banking, budget, consumer affairs, economic development, small business, tax, tourism, and trade policy;
- developing, implementing, and coordinating an economic development plan;
- preparing for committee hearings and markups, and staffing the senator at those meetings; and
- coordinating with all components of the senator’s team to support his work.
Experience and Skills
The successful applicant will:
- have an understanding of the congressional appropriations process and federal agency budget processes;
- have experience advancing economic development initiatives and other policies in coordination with federal, state, and local agencies;
- have demonstrable experience in developing new policies or innovative approaches;
- be incredibly driven;
- have excellent communication, analytical, negotiation, and organizational skills;
- work well as part of a team; and
- have experience with coalition building and policy messaging.
A law/advanced degree and/or Hawaii ties are preferred but not required.
This position is a member of a legislative staff of 26 policy staffers. The senator’s legislative staff is composed of six policy teams covering environmental, domestic, economic development, infrastructure, national security, and technology policy.
The Office of Senator Brian Schatz
Senator Schatz’s office is a great place to work. The office is made up of more than 50 driven, talented, personable staffers, and it is one of the most diverse and highly educated offices in the U.S. Senate. Staffers help to advocate for the people of Hawaii, make sure the federal government does what it should, and communicate how government works for people. Most staffers are based in offices in Washington, D.C., and Honolulu—though some staffers work on the islands of Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui.
The position is based in the senator’s Washington, DC, office.
This position is available to start now.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this position will be in the range of $100,000-$120,000 per year. U.S. Senate employees are eligible for a number of benefits including student loan repayment, employer contribution for health care insurance, transit subsidy, car and bicycle parking, retirement plans, life insurance, borrowing privileges from the Library of Congress, access to the Senate staff gym, and personal and professional development courses.
How to Apply