U.S. Senator Brian Schatz (D-HI) is hiring a senior policy advisor to lead the senator’s climate and environmental work. Applicants should have excellent written and spoken communications skills, good interpersonal skills, and significant experience working on a range of environmental policy issues—especially climate change. This person will be responsible for overseeing the senator’s relevant work on the Appropriations Committee as well. Competitive candidates will have 10+ years of relevant experience. The salary range for this senior-level position is $110,000 to $130,000 per year.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- representing the senator on climate and environmental policy, and related appropriations issues;
- advancing the senator’s existing initiatives and developing new priorities;
- preparing for committee hearings and markups, and staffing of the senator at relevant meetings and convenings;
- conducting relevant oversight of federal agencies;
- coordinating with all components of the office to support the senator’s climate and environmental work; and
- addressing external requests and representing the office with public, private, and nonprofit stakeholders relevant to the portfolio.
Experience and Skills
We ask that potential applicants have many, if not all, of the following:
- at least 10 years of relevant experience;
- a thorough understanding of, and considerable experience in, climate and environmental policy;
- demonstrable experience in developing new policies and/or innovative approaches to issues;
- a significant understanding of environmental and energy related agencies, including their budgets, programs, policy processes, and Investing in America implementation work;
- strong communication and presentation skills, good sense of teamwork, and strong ability to work with outside stakeholders;
- a general understanding of the legislative process, budget/appropriations processes, and federal agency processes;
- good analytical, negotiation, management, and organizational skills; and
- experience with coalition building and policy messaging.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $110,000 to $130,000 per year. Senate employees are eligible for a number of benefits including student loan repayment, employer contribution for health care insurance, retirement plans, life insurance, transit subsidy, parking, bicycle facilities, access to the Senate staff gym, borrowing privileges from the Library of Congress, and personal and professional development courses.
This position is available to start on October 15, 2023. The position is based in the senator’s Washington, D.C. office.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through this link. Please submit your application as soon as possible.