Deputy Legislative Director
Senator Brian Schatz of Hawai‘i is hiring a deputy legislative director. This staffer will advise the senator on a variety of policy topics and help to manage the legislative team. Applicants should have excellent organizational skills and time management, seasoned written and spoken communications skills, and excellent interpersonal and management skills. The senator is a member of the Appropriations Committee, Commerce Committee, and Foreign Relations Committee, and he has committee staffs supporting his work as chair of the Indian Affairs Committee and the Appropriations Committee’s THUD subcommittee.
Experience and Skills
The successful applicant will have:
- excellent analytical, negotiation, and organizational skills;
- strong communication and presentation skills to brief the Senator and to work with outside stakeholders;
- sound political judgment;
- experience advancing policies with federal, state, and local agencies;
- management experience and familiarity with a broad variety of policy topics;
- an understanding of the legislative process, budget/appropriations processes, and federal/state/local agency processes;
- demonstrable experience in developing new policies and innovative solutions; and
- experience with coalition building and policy messaging.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $110,000 to $130,000 per year. Senate employees are eligible for a number of benefits including student loan repayment, employer contribution for health care insurance, retirement plans, life insurance, transit subsidy, parking, bicycle facilities, access to the Senate staff gym, borrowing privileges from the Library of Congress, and personal and professional development courses.
This position is available to start now. The position is based in the senator’s Washington, D.C., office.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through this link. Please submit your application as soon as possible.