Senator Brian Schatz of Hawai‘i is hiring a legislative assistant or counsel to lead the Senator’s energy policy work, including overseeing the Senator’s relevant work on the Appropriations Committee. Applicants should have incredible drive and determination, seasoned written and spoken communications skills, excellent interpersonal and management skills, and significant experience working on energy policy.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- leading on energy policy and related appropriations issues;
- advancing the Senator’s existing initiatives and developing new priorities;
- preparing for committee hearings and markups and staffing the Senator at those meetings;
- conducting oversight of federal agencies;
- coordinating with all components of the office to support the Senator’s work; and
- addressing external requests and representing the office with public, private, and nonprofit stakeholders.
Experience and Skills
The successful applicant will have:
- at least 8 years of relevant experience;
- a thorough understanding of and considerable experience in energy policy;
- demonstrable experience in developing new policies or innovative approaches;
- a significant understanding of energy agencies, including their budgets, programs, and policy processes;
- incredible drive;
- strong communication and presentation skills to brief the Senator and to work with outside stakeholders;
- sound political judgment;
- an understanding of the legislative process, budget/appropriations processes, and federal agency processes;
- experience working with high-profile leaders and officials;
- excellent analytical, negotiation, and organizational skills;
- experience with coalition building and policy messaging; and
- a graduate degree (strongly preferred by not required).
Climate and Environment Team
This position is part of the Senator’s climate and environment team. The team includes three legislative assistants, one or two legislative fellows, a legislative correspondent, and an intern. The team advises the Senator on climate, energy, conservation, air quality, agriculture, water quality, oceans, and science policy matters among other areas.
The Office of Senator Brian Schatz
Senator Schatz’s office is a great place to work. The office is made up of more than 50 driven, talented, personable staffers, and it is one of the most diverse and highly educated offices in the U.S. Senate. Staffers help to advocate for the people of Hawai‘i, make sure the federal government does what it should, and communicate how government works for people. Most staffers are based in offices in Washington, D.C., and Honolulu—though some staffers work on the islands of Hawai‘i, Kaua‘i, and Maui.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $70,000 per year. Senate employees are eligible for a number of benefits including student loan repayment, employer contribution for health care insurance, retirement plans, life insurance, transit subsidy, parking, bicycle facilities, access to the Senate staff gym, borrowing privileges from the Library of Congress, and personal and professional development courses.
This position is available to start now.
The position is based in the Senator’s Washington, D.C., office.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through this link. Please submit your application as soon as possible.