Schatz: Colleges And Universities In Hawai‘i Receiving More Than $22 Million To Help Cover Cost Of Distance Learning, Fund Financial Aid For Students
HONOLULU – U.S. Senator Brian Schatz (D-Hawai‘i), a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, announced that Hawai‘i will receive $22,379,622 in new federal funding to help 12 colleges, universities, and community colleges transition to distance learning and provide emergency grants to students.
“Hawai‘i colleges and universities are refunding millions for housing, struggling to pay for salaries, and are incurring new expenses in the transition to digital classrooms,” said Senator Schatz. “The federal funding will not only help to cover these costs, it will also provide immediate assistance to students so that they can continue their education during this uncertain time.”
These new federal funds can be used for emergency financial aid grants to students to help ease expenses caused by campus disruptions from the coronavirus. The funds can also be used by institutions to help cover the costs of transitioning to distance learning, new technology, faculty and staff trainings, and payroll, among other things.
The higher education institutions receiving funding are:
- Chaminade University is receiving $1,325,494
- Hawai‘i Community College is receiving $1,017,091
- Honolulu Community College is receiving $940,828
- Kapiolani Community College is receiving $1,700,406
- Kauai Community College is receiving $472,520
- Leeward Community College is receiving $1,775,419
- Pacific Rim Christian University is receiving $143,443
- University of Hawai‘i at Hilo is receiving $2,691,269
- University of Hawai‘i at Manoa is receiving $9,566,751
- University of Hawai‘i Maui College is receiving $1,041,403
- University of Hawai‘i-West Oahu is receiving $1,238,245
- Windward Community College is receiving $466,753
The funding is made available through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund, authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, and will be allocated to colleges and universities that serve Native Hawaiian, Asian American, and Pacific Islander students.
More information on federal support for higher education in Hawai‘i can be found on Senator Schatz’s online resource guide: schatz.senate.gov/coronavirus/education/higher-ed.