Senator Schatz has the honor and privilege of nominating exceptional students from the State of Hawai‘i for appointment to the United States Service Academies.
An official nomination is required for admission to each of the Service Academies except the United States Coast Guard Academy.
Members of Congress have a limited number of nominations to submit for consideration each year. As a result, the selection process for a congressional nomination is extremely competitive. In accordance with the Service Academy “whole person” approach for selecting the best qualified candidates, Senator Schatz is committed to evaluating students on a broad range of criteria including character, scholarship, leadership, and motivation.
Applications will be assessed for the candidate’s potential to secure an appointment to an academy and to successfully complete the academy’s leadership, academic, and physical requirements. Selected applicants will be invited to interview with Senator Schatz's office in November. Candidates not residing on Oahu will be interviewed via Zoom. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Please note that while a nomination is required, it does not guarantee admission into a military academy. You must also apply directly to each academy, and their admissions board ultimately determines who receives an appointment.
Applicants must meet the following criteria to apply for a nomination.
- Be a U.S. Citizen (or will be a U.S. Citizen before entering an academy).
- Be between the ages of 17 and 23 (U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Military Academy, and the U.S. Naval Academy) and/or 17 and 25 years old on July 1 (U.S. Merchant Marine Academy).
- Be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- Successfully pass the Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA) physical strength test and a medical exam by the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DoDMER) or its contractor.
- Be a legal resident of the State of Hawai‘i.
October 15, 2024 at 12:00pm HT: Deadline to submit application for a nomination from Senator Schatz.
November: Selected applicants will be scheduled for interviews.
December/January: Notification of selected nominees.
If you experience issues accessing the application or have questions about the process, please email ServiceAcademy@schatz.senate.gov or call our Honolulu Office at 808-523-2061.
Thank you for your willingness to serve our nation. Best of luck!
Please contact the Academies directly to obtain information on their specific Admissions process.
Please note: Congressional nominations are no longer required for the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA). If you are interested in attending the Coast Guard Academy, please contact the academy directly.