This position will support Senator Schatz’s active communications team. Responsibilities include managing press mentions, news clips, drafting social media posts and press releases, and taking and editing photos and video. The ideal candidate will have either prior experience working in a communications or digital role.
Experience and Skills
- have strong writing, communications, analytical, research, and organizational skills;
- have a strong work ethic;
- work well as part of a team; exercise sound judgment; and operate well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment;
- have an interest in graphic design, photo and video editing, and media relations;
- be familiar with Adobe Creative Suite programs like Photoshop, Premiere, and Illustrator; and understand fundamentals of graphic design, photography, and video production;
Preference will be given to applicants who have familiarity with Hawai‘i from time spent as a current/former resident or through significant professional or educational experience in the state.
The Office of Senator Brian Schatz
Senator Schatz’s office is a great place to work. The office is made up of more than 50 driven, talented, personable staffers, and it is one of the most diverse and highly educated offices in the U.S. Senate. Staffers help to advocate for the people of Hawai‘i, make sure the federal government does what it should, and communicate how government can and should work for people. Most staffers are based in offices in Washington, D.C., and Honolulu—though some staffers work on the islands of Hawai‘i, Kaua‘i, and Maui.
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary for this position is $45,000 per year. U.S. Senate employees are eligible for a number of benefits including student loan repayment, employer contribution for health care insurance, transit subsidy, car and bicycle parking, retirement plans, life insurance, borrowing privileges from the Library of Congress, access to the Senate staff gym, and personal and professional development courses.
This position is available to start now.
The position is based in the Senator’s Washington, DC office.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through this portal. Please submit your application as soon as possible.