Coronavirus Relief Fund for State and County Governments
This page will be updated continuously to reflect the most recent information on the coronavirus. This page was last updated on April 29, 2020.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act created a Coronavirus Relief Fund for state and large county governments funded at $150 billion for fiscal year 2020. The inspector general of the Department of the Treasury will conduct monitoring and oversight of the use of Coronavirus Relief Fund by state and county governments and has the authority to recoup misspent funds. The Department of the Treasury’s guidance is available here.
Hawaii received a total of $1.25 billion from the Coronavirus Relief Fund. The Department of the Treasury awarded $863 million to the State of Hawaii and $387 million to the City and County of Honolulu. County governments are eligible to receive funding from the state.
How Awards were Determined
- Treasury awarded states their funding based on population in consultation with the Census Bureau.
- The minimum state award was $1.25 billion.
- County governments with a population of 500,000 or more were eligible to receive a direct payment from the Treasury.
- Out of the total amount for each state, the state government received at least 55 percent of the total. The county governments altogether received up to 45 percent of the total for the state. Of this 45 percent, large county governments were eligible to receive a portion of this funding based on its proportion of the state population. The remaining funding out of this 45 percent was provided to the state government.
Use of Funds
State and county governments can use this funding for costs that:
- are necessary expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19),
- were not accounted for in the budget most recently approved for the state or county government as of the date of enactment, and
- were incurred from March 1 to December 30, 2020.
Title V (Sec. 5001) of the CARES Act established the Coronavirus Relief Fund.