Our veterans and their families have made tremendous sacrifices in service to our great nation, and we owe them nothing less than the same commitment that they have showed us. With more than 100,000 veterans in Hawai‘i, Senator Brian Schatz is committed to honoring our veterans and their families, and empowering them to seize new opportunities as they transition back to civilian life.
Senator Schatz believes we have a responsibility to invest in our veterans’ futures. He is committed to ensuring that they have access to transition assistance programs, including career training services and higher education that will better position them to compete for civilian careers. He is dedicated to working with the private sector to showcase important skills that America’s veterans have to offer businesses, such as dependability, initiative and self-direction. And he is devoted to making sure that none of Hawai‘i’s veterans sleep without a roof over their heads.
To expand care and services to veterans across the neighbor islands, Senator Schatz is working to leverage community organizations, including local health clinics, to provide quality health care to veterans in their communities. These community organizations often provide the most common outpatient care, such as health and wellness visits, without the need to travel long distances or to other islands. That is why Senator Schatz is committed to working with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to ensure that resources are available to support VA community-based outpatient clinics in Hilo, Kailua-Kona, Kahului, and Lihue. These clinics are important to providing our veterans with more options to access the care they need.
Senator Schatz is working to grant Filipino veterans the benefits they were promised for their service during the Second World War when more than 250,000 Filipinos served under the U.S. flag in the Pacific. Many of these soldiers made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve freedom. But many others have lived on quietly, under-recognized and denied the basic veterans’ benefits they earned for their service. The Filipino Veterans Fairness Act that Senator Schatz introduced would right this wrong and make all surviving Filipino veterans eligible to the benefits they earned.
Providing our veterans with the best health care, education, transitional programs and memorials are top priorities for Senator Schatz. He is working to ensure all these vital programs have the resources to care for our veterans.
- With Schatz Legislation Signed Into Law, Commissaries And Exchanges In Hawai‘i Set To Open To More Veterans, Purple Heart Recipients Posted on 11/20/19
- Schatz, Thune Reintroduce Bipartisan Bill To Make Cost of Living Adjustment For Veterans Automatic Posted on 02/07/19
- President Signs Schatz-Boozman Bill into Law, Ensuring Veterans Receive Full Housing Benefits Posted on 01/03/19
- Schatz, Boozman Introduce New Legislation To Ensure All Underpaid Veterans Are Reimbursed, Hold VA Accountable Posted on 12/11/18
- Schatz, Nelson Introduce Bill To Allow VA To Prescribe Medical Marijuana To Veterans Posted on 09/06/18
- Schatz, Murkowski Renew Call For Full Benefits Owed To Filipino WWII Veterans Posted on 02/15/18
- Senate Passes Military Construction and VA Appropriations Bill With Hawai‘i Priorities Posted on 11/10/15